Yesterday, Google posted its earnings for the first quarter of 2015.Here are my key takeaways:
- $1bn negative impact of weak currency
- 12% YoY growth (versus the same quarter last year)
- 23% growth on”other revenues” which includes non-search products such as the Google Play store
- CPCs dropped a substantial 13% YoY, which many commentators have put down to the challenge of monetising mobile clicks. Patrick
- Pichette took time to expose a little more detail here, suggesting that the cheaper clicks are partly due to the growth in low CPC YouTube ads, which sounds credible.Will video be a more significant area than mobile?
- The market UK still accounts for a healthy 10% of total revenue.
- Headcount has increased by around 9,000 YoY to over 55,000
Despite missing analysts expectations, after hours trading saw a good improvement in the share price.